Sunday, November 1, 2009

Iringa

I just arrived in Iringa! I'm very excited to explore the town, and begin teaching here. I'll definitely miss Morogoro, though, and for many reasons. Here are a few:

The Mountains: This is what I see every day as I walk to the bus stand. They're beautiful. The picture just can't capture the view, so you should come see for yourself.
The People: All of the teachers, the volunteers, the people in town, and the students are amazing. The kids (especially from Primary) are so enthusiastic and excited about jumping. They run over to the banda during break for Double Dutch or a game of Don't Miss a Loop. It's been fun spending time with other volunteers and teachers. Several of us got together for a fun night of Halloween festivities, and we recently attended a fashion show at a local restaurant. It was a night to remember.

The Mix: I talk often about the food in Tanzania for a reason - it's amazing. There's a stand in town that serves what is known as "Mix". It's a type of soup with different seasonings, tiny fried dumplings, and other assorted things. It's a whole lot of delicious, and I will miss it dearly.

The Teaching: Teaching here has been amazing. The kids at M.I.S. love jumping. One of the students, Andrew, has mastered most of the basic skills, and is now working on combining them into a routine. He jumps every day, and has blisters on his hands from practicing the frog and pushup so much. There are several kids at Faraja and St. Francis who can do the toad, inverse toad, crougar, double under, and 360. The boys at St. Francis must be jumping every day, and teaching each other, because every time I visit, they've learned what I taught them the last time, and taught at least one other kid how to do the skills. They're learning at a remarkable speed, and improving steadily as a group. Morogoro will have a strong group of jumpers.

No comments: