Saturday, September 5, 2009

First Performance

Friday was a good day. My first performance of the year took place at Dar es Salaam International Academy. Beautiful school, and the kids were really excited to watch. I'll be working with them on Mondays and Thursdays - in the morning during P.E., and after-school as part of a "Middle Years Program" for the older students. A few of the teachers there are very interested in learning.

In the afternoon, I visited the Dogodogo Centre for a performance and some teaching. The kids were unbelievable. I will say this: Lukas...you've got some serious competition. Jump rope world, meet Amisi.

He's 8 years old, and he can do a back flip. Today, in about an hour, he learned a frog, a pushup, and a forward roll kip. He then did a pushup directly into a forward roll kip, and can almost do a kamikaze. I showed him a freeze, and he can hold the position really well. I'm sure he'll be doing it easily with the rope in a few days. Many of the kids were able to do front crosses, and a few learned the toad, double under, and crougar. I taught one kid a nice Double Dutch strength sequence without the ropes, and another is fairly close to the Nederman Pop. If he gets it, I'll post a video, and listen for the sound of jaws around the world slamming into the floor. They all seemed to really enjoy jumping long rope, and there are several natural gymnasts in the group.

One World One Rope Jump Rope in Africa International jump rope TanzaniaI can't wait to see what Day Two with them brings.

Dar es Salaam is a beautiful city. The people are so nice, and the food is delicious. Two mishikaki (grilled beef on a stick) with diced tomatoes and onions is about $1.50 U.S. Best. Dinner. Ever. You all should come visit...right now.

Upendo na Amani toka Tanzania,

Mike

1 comment:

Shoe said...

Mr. Fry...
Some seriously cool stuff here. And I thought I was fascinated with jumping rope...this puts my dedication to shame. But not in a discouraging kind of way...it's more motivating.

So I'm kind of lost on where you're staying exactly. A host family? Anyways, keep them updates comin'.

-Mr. Hsu