Monday, September 21, 2009

Kariakoo

If you're not yet convinced that Dar es Salaam is an awesome city, the next paragraph should help assuage any doubts.

Today, I took a dala-dala (basically a mini-bus - $0.20 U.S.) into the Kariakoo marketplace. It's about a five minute walk from Mnazi Mmoja, where the Peace Day celebration was held last Friday, and is one of the biggest markets in East Africa. The scene was bustling - packed with people, and filled with just about anything you would want. There, I was able to buy 11 mini bananas, 6 mini mangos, 2 oranges, an avocado, a cup of ice cream, chipsi mayai, and mishikaki for less than $3.50 U.S. I still can't get over how good that avocado was. Probably the best I've ever had.

It's been really fun venturing out into the city and discovering new restaurants and shops. Most of the places don't have names, but if you go out for a walk, you'll pass at least a few within a couple of minutes.

The people I've met are all so friendly. It's going to be tough leaving.

Amani,
Mike

1 comment:

Shoe said...

ORLY ONLY $3.50?? HOOOOOT.

Hahaha oh good times...still makes me chuckle. You are crazy but it's great. I told Roblobster your message and he said that you should watch our for the big spider where you sleep. Ok just kidding I made that part up because I can't actually remember what he said. Wooooops

I made up this cool pose-release-wrap-rebound-trick thing today. You know it's great because I can't even describe it to you...gotta show it to you soon.

Anyways hope all things are going well with the classes, thanks for making me work up an appetite. I think I'll go eat some boring-named food from the fridge.

-Hsushi