Friday, January 23, 2009

The Aga Khan Academy


Wow...

Let me repeat that.

Wow...

I just spent the day at the Aga Khan Academy in Mombasa, Kenya. It is the first of it's kind, and the model for what will soon be 18 academies across Africa, South and Central Asia, and the Middle East. They recruit the best and brightest individuals from some of the poorest areas of the world, bring them to the academy, and give them a world-class education. Really, any explanation I provide will not do the school justice. Go to the website. http://www.akdn.org/academies_mombasa.asp Read about it. This however, will also not do it justice. For this I apologize. Just come visit.




I started at about 8:30 this morning, and worked with a few of the phys. ed. classes. Next was a performance for the junior school, followed by about 25 minutes of autographs. I worked with 5 or 6 of the teachers before lunch, and then worked with a few of the senior school boys who had picked up skills quickly during P.E. The school day ended with a performance for the senior school.

I feel like I'm saying a lot of the same things, but...the kids were really excited to learn. One thing that struck me about the academy was the students respect and appreciation for their teachers, the school, and the learning process. The campus is beautiful and the education here is preparing them for admission into the best universities in the world (in many cases on full scholarship). I really wish I could stay longer.

One of the students just passed by and said "You are really good. You inspired me."

That second bit got me. That's what I want to do - inspire as many people as possible to achieve great things. That's why I'm here. That's why I need to come back.

Peace and love from Africa.

No comments: