Monday, January 19, 2009

Iringa


I'm writing from the computer room at Iringa International School. I did a performance for the kids this morning, then went over to the Ummu Salama School (about a 5 minute walk) to perform for and teach to a small group of students.

Iringa International School
click any image for larger view

I'll be working with the kids at I.I.S. again during their break in 20 minutes, then after school for 3-4 hours. Tomorrow, I'll work with them during phys. ed. classes, then go back to Umma Salama for a performance for the entire school, and another workshop. I'll only be in Iringa for two days, and I'm really wishing I could stay longer. The kids are so enthusiastic and the area is beautiful.

Two of the teachers I spoke with at Ummu Salama are very interested in starting a team. They feel that there is a lot of potential, and love the idea of competing within the country, and ultimately internationally. They feel very strongly that by having the youth from several different countries coming together to share a common passion, to teach each other, and to have a chance to interact beyond the competition will be a great thing. It will be a truly unique cultural exchange. These kids will be the future leaders of the world, and for them understand and respect individuals who are culturally different from them will be very positive.


Jump rope practice at
Ummu Salama School

(For more videos, go to: http://www.youtube.com/user/MikeFry09

I'm drinking as much water as I can, but still finding myself dehydrated. The other day I spilled some water in the dirt and watched as the ground drank it up in seconds. The heat can be brutal, and I'm most definitely sunburned.

I'm staying with a couple that teaches at I.I.S. The mother is from Senegal and the father from the U.K. They have two kids that are completely adorable. Everyone is friendly, enthusiastic, and so welcoming.

For anyone who may be reading this...I miss you. Peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're finding such enthusiasm for jump rope at each of your schools.

Watch the sun. Dad got sun-poisoning on a trip once - it's no fun! It totally sidelined him for a couple of days. Use your sunblock, get a hat, and drink even more water.
Love,
Mom