Friday, January 16, 2009

First week


It's been a busy, amazing, inspiring, exhausting, energizing, unbelievable week.

I've spent most of each day working with the kids at Morogoro International school, and was able to arrange visits to three of the local schools - Mtawala, Mwembesongo, and Mchikichini (click on any pic for larger view).

The kids at M.I.S. range in age from 4 to 16, and they've been great - full of energy and eager to learn. Many of the older kids have even started to take on a teaching role for the younger students. The potential is definitely here.

Morogoro is beautiful. The school is right next to a huge mountain range. I've taken numerous photos to try to capture the view, but they won't do it justice. The facilities for phys. ed. classes are also good.

My time on the computer is running low, and I need to back at the school in half an hour, so I'll keep this short.

There will be three workshops tomorrow (9-11, 11-1, and 2-4). See video below of classroom session at Mtawala School:


.


(For more videos, go to: http://www.youtube.com/user/MikeFry09

I leave for Iringa on Sunday, then Mombasa (in Kenya) on Wednesday, then back to Moshi after that. Then back to school for spring semester of senior year. Then back to Africa.

3 comments:

Logan said...

Hi, Mike. Sounds like your having a great time.

I'm very happy to hear that the students are so eager to participate and learn. I can't wait to see your pictures and movie clips.

And how's your Swahili coming? Do you need to use it?

When your sister was in Arusha to teach four years ago, she said: "I'm learning Swahili much faster than I was originally expecting, but slower than it could be if I spent a reasonable amount of time on it."

Zibby Goes to Tanzania

So spend some time on it! See you again soon.

- Dad

Yolanda said...

I see you're falling in love with Africa. I can't wait to hear all your stories. mmm... looks like a trip to Tanzania is in the works for me when you go back after graduation.(^.^)

Yolanda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.