Wednesday, January 21, 2009

A new team!


I left Iringa today. It's always hard saying goodbye to a place and group of of people you've grown close to; but now I have even more to look forward to when I come back.

Tuesday, I worked with the P-3 teacher (primary class 3) at Iringa International School for an hour. She picked up just about everything I showed her and in almost no time. The next day, she said she wasn't at all sore; even though she had jumped later that night and again in the morning. Apparently, she had done gymnastics and dance when she was younger; and had a good base to work from. I half-jokingly, half-hesitantly asked if she might consider coaching a team. She said: "Absolutely!" She seems really excited about jumping and working with the kids; and said I should stay in touch until I return. I left one of the DVDs and some of the ropes.

I visited the Ummu Salama School again this morning and performed for classes 4 through 7. Each performance was followed by ten more minutes of instruction; then 11 of the best students were selected for what may be the first Tanzanian jump rope team. I worked with that group for about a half an hour more before I had to head off to the bus station for the trip back to Dar es Salaam. I left behind 15 ropes and another instructional DVD; and I told them I expected back flips and quints by the time I returned. They all laughed.

Umma Salama School
Click on image for larger view

I was only in Iringa for two days; but there are now teachers who actually have the skills and who will be there every day; and a group of kids who are already a new team. With interest at both Ummu Salama School and Iringa International School; I am very optimistic that jump rope has a good start in the region.

Tomorrow, I'm traveling to Aga Khan Academy in Mombasa, Kenya. It's about a 12 hour trip from Dar to Mombasa by bus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well, Michael.

Seems like this trip is quite incredible.

Similar things are happening here as well. America got it's first African sunshine Tuesday at noon. Hope you were able to witness that.

I'm jealous of this Kenya trip. Some advice: don't try to race anyone there. You will lose. Terribly.

Some updates: the new team show with the Heartbeats has formed a few very interesting ideas. Jenny & Lauren are keepin' it real with single rope - coming up with a quite a few cool combinations and interaction pieces. Chris C and Ryan came up with a pretty stellar power sequence for double dutch - however, I think they'll be soon to find that it's too difficult - but it's definitely a nifty-gifty. I worked with Ryan, Robbie & Tania on a double dutch to wheel transition - I think it's pretty cool. It will give them a lot of opportunity to do other things. However, again, I feel it may be too difficult for everyone. They're beginning the tryout teachings for team show. They decided on 12 jumpers. So they have 12 varsity members, and need to tryout for alternates/jumpers to replace Lauren, Tania, Robbie & Jenny if they do not jump in it. In that case, I feel it will be a "refresh" for the Heartbeats.

Other than that, the world is still spinning and should be when you return.

Congratulations on your accomplishments thus far. I'm interested in hearing about the adventures in full when you return & youtube videos will be numerous for you to watch. haha

Take care & be safe.

Speak soon,
Greg